Dr. Bowen’s Top Picks for Hormone Balancing Supplements
- Flaxseeds/Flaxseed Oil: I love to use flax seeds as a great source of both Omega-3 Fatty acids and also fiber. Grind them as needed and add them to food or protein shakes. The oil is helpful for balancing hormones, reducing systemic inflammation and alleviating constipation. Store in the refrigerator to prevent oils from going rancid.
- Vitex Agnus-Castus: This herb is also known as Chaste tree berry. it can be used in any situation that involves imbalance in female hormones. My favorite herb by far for treating either PMS or Menopause.
- Evening Primrose Oil: May be helpful for alleiviating hot flashes. May also be helpful for reducing breast pain/tenderness (either PMS or Menopause).
- Vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxine): Plays an important role in the making of serotonin. Birth control pills deplete Vitamin B-6. B-6 deficiency may cause depression, irritability, and insomnia. Any of these symptoms may be present with either PMS or Menopause.
- Women’s Phase I: This product is used for prevention or treatment of PMS and menstrual cycle irregularities. It contains Vitamin E, Vitamin B-6, Calcium, Iodine, Magnesium, Chromium, Borage Seed Oil, Wild Yam, Dandelion root, Dong Quai (Angelica), Passionflower, St. John’s Wort, Vitex and Ginkgo Biloba.
- Women’s Phase II: This product is used to help ease menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, mood changes and vaginal atrophy. The formula includes the following herbs: Dong Quai (Angelica), Licorice root, Burdock, Wild Yam and Motherwort. This product addresses adrenal fatigue and helps balance hormones.
The Clinician’s Handbook of Natural Medicine, Michael Murray, ND and Joseph Pizzorno, ND., Herb Joiner-Bey, ND, pp. 423-428. Churchill Livingstone. 2002.
Women’s Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, Tori Hudson, N.D. Keats Publishing. 1999. pp 135-180.